Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Comparing DPS Mathura Road and Modern School Barakhamba Road

I would say the 2 schools are equal, making the choice extremely tough to make. Both have good infrastructure, excellent teachers and are recently getting rejuvenated after a decade of slow fade.

Om sai ram, if I were you, all things being equal, I would choose on location and personal liking in your situation. I liked the building of DPS MR and the fact that there is only one location, so the child can grow attached to the school.

Rohina, I would stay with DPS MR. Performance comes in 5th and above classes only, by which time bright kids overhaul the average even with age advantage. Average students cannot get by with just age advantage. So your kid being younger will not matter by then, things get evened out. So no point repeating nursery in Modern when already in DPS MR.

In my opinion, both schools used very transparent admission criteria, though many have vented their sour grapes attitude on this site. Modern used better judgement in selecting the cream for their school. I was impressed by their interview, they separated the wheat from the chaff in 2 minutes, while SPV spent 20 minutes conducting an interview in which the discussion was like a gossip session. DPS MR used a not very efficient point system, which may not have selected the best suited kids. So thats a minus point.

Modern and DPS MR both have very young, new dynamic principals, out to prove their worth. I have no doubt both schools will see a marked improvement in their image very soon.One must acknowledge that both schools have had a deterioration of image in the last 10 -15 years. Image is image, it is public perception. Though not having anything to do with reality, it does matter.

If I had to compare, giving 10 to the better of these 2 schools, then I would say

1. Overall brand value Mod 10, MR 8. Both likely to improve, what happens 14 years from now is anybody's guess

2. Academics MR 10, Mod 7. But here, Modern's junior teachers are excellent, best in Delhi

3. Sports Mod 10, MR 10

4. Extra curricular Mod 10, MR 8

5. Infrastructure Mod 10, MR10

6. Snob value Mod 10, MR 7

7. Reverse snob value MR 10, Mod 3. By this I mean that in middle class society, in which I move, people will not like that one's child is in Modern, because they will think we are spoiling the child. Though this in totally unjustified, this is common perception. Although I know the reality, they do not. A lot of my relatives and friends will vocally and silently criticise my choice of Modern, they will do so much less for DPS MR.

So everything depends on what society you move in and what society you want your child to move in.I must hasten to add that most parents in MR and Mod are professionals and middle class. The school fees are reasonable and on par, Modern perhaps lesser by a fourth and both are far removed from international schools which charge 3 times more.

Those are my view points. Do let us know your decision. Gaurav, congrats on your selection

as posted on nurseryadmissions.com

No comments: